Building Capacity for Regional Associations to Provide Grantmaker Education
The Hewlett Foundation funds this Forum initiative to build the capacity of regional associations to provide grantmaker education. The goal of this three-year project is to produce a system that generates a series of high quality tools and programs on a range of grantmaker skills and competencies. Planned activities include:
- Create and promote an educational framework describing the essential skills and capacities of effective grantmakers.
- Overlay the scan of current programming onto the educational framework to determine areas of need.
- Create strategic partnerships with curriculum developers to fill in gaps.
- Regrant to regional associations to develop, create (in partnership with curriculum developers), and test replicable programming at various sized regional associations.
- Create a system of measurable outcomes using a common evaluation approach for grantmaker education programs.
- Develop annual programming on key topics that is delivered through the regional associations via teleconferences or Web seminars.
- Provide a distribution and discussion network by developing a coordinated approach of distributing key research, thought papers, and educational content on effective philanthropy to communities across the country.
- Logic Model Template (DOC)
A template to help you get started creating your own logic model. As you fill in the logic model template, start by filling in the “problem” that the program addresses and the goal that the program has set relative to that problem, as well as corresponding sub-problems and sub-goals. Next, note any resources that are available to the program. Work from right to-left to fill in long-term outcomes, short-term outcomes, output measures, and finally program activities.
- Framework for Delivering Education Programs in Your Regional Association: Ten Principles and Practices (PDF)
The Framework represents a synthesis of recommendations made by more than 60 practitioners and thought leaders in the field . It describes ten principles and corresponding practices that contribute to a grantmaking organization’s effectiveness and that can be used to strengthen philanthropy education across the sector.
- Forum Announces Grantmaker Education Grant Recipients!
We are pleased to announce the recipients of our grantmaker education grant program! The grants are part of the Forum’s national leadership project, funded by the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, to strengthen the regional associations’ capacity to collectively and markedly improve the quality of grantmaker education.
- Summary of Funded Proposals (DOC)
A summary of Hewlett Education Grant Recipients and their project descriptions.
- Findings from the Survey of Providers Offering Education Programs for Grantmakers (PDF)
During April and May of 2009, an online survey of selected providers of grantmaker education was conducted to develop an understanding of current practices, successful delivery models, and challenges or gaps in the field. Survey respondents included 24 regional associations of grantmakers and 14 other targeted program providers and infrastructure organizations.
- Aspen Institute
An international nonprofit dedicated to fostering enlightened leadership and open-minded dialogue through seminars, policy programs, conferences and leadership development initiatives.
- Association of Small Foundations
Provides members with peer learning opportunities, targeted resources, and a collective voice in and beyond the philanthropic community.
- Center for Effective Philanthropy
Develops comparative data to enable higher-performing foundations and provides management and governance tools to define, assess, and improve overall foundation performance.
A project of the Ford Foundation to create a variety of formats for self-study or workshops aimed at helping grant makers to work more effectively in whatever field or community they support.
- Grantmaking School at Grand Valley State University
The first university-based program for teaching the techniques and ethics of grantmaking specifically to foundation grantmaking professionals.